The 7 Stages of Grief (Through 90s Music Videos)
Are you going through a breakup and don’t know how to deal with your emotions? I’m sorry, that’s just the worst sh*t. Especially since they just don’t make breakup songs like they used to!
Don’t worry, I am going to to walk you through the 7 stages of grief with these 7 awesome music videos from the 90s. By then end of this playlist, you’ll be saying ‘JOEY POTTER WHO?!’
1. SHOCK AND DENIAL– ….Baby One More Time (Britney Spears). At this point, you just can’t accept that you’ve been dumped.
The appropriate lyrics:”Oh baby, baby, how was I supposed to know that something wasn’t right?…I still believe that you will be here and give me a sign! HIT ME BABY ONE MORE TIME!”
2. PAIN AND GUILT– “Creep” (Radiohead). Oh, the paaiiiinnn… it’s setting in now, and it hurts! No one understands pain like Thom Yorke. He’s like the Father of the 2nd stage of grief.
The appropriate lyrics: “When you were here before, couldn’t look you in the eye, you’re just like an angel, your skin makes me cry…but I’m a creep, I’m a weirdo, what the hell am I doing here? I don’t belong here.”
3. ANGER AND BARGAINING: “You Oughta Know” (Alanis Morrissette). This might be the angriest breakup song ever. At this fun stage, just f***ing let that rage out, Alanis style!
The appropriate lyrics: “Did you forget about me Mr. Duplicity? I hate to bug you in the middle of dinner…It was a slap in the face how quickly I was replaced, are you thinking of me when you f*** her?”
4. DEPRESSION, REFLECTION, AND LONELINESS- “How It’s Gonna Be” (Third Eye Blind). You’re starting to think about how it’s gonna be, now that you’ve accepted that you are, in fact, dumped and alone again. Third Eye Blind gets you right now.
*Side note: Is it just me, or is the lead singer of Third Eye Blind kinda super hot?
The appropriate lyrics: “I wonder, how it’s going to be when you don’t know me? How’s it going to be when you’re sure I’m not there? How’s it going to be when there is no one to talk to, between you and me? ‘Cause I don’t care…How’s it going to be?”
5. THE UPWARD TURN– “Ordinary World” (Duran Duran). You’re starting to look forward into the future, realizing that you will learn to survive, dammit!
The appropriate lyrics: “But I won’t cry for yesterday, there’s an ordinary world, somehow I have to find. And as I try to make my way to the ordinary world, I will learn to survive…”
6. RECONSTRUCTION & WORKING THROUGH: “Bittersweet Symphony” (The Verve). At this point, you are moving on with your life, spending most of your time fantasizing about Ryan Phillipe in Cruel Intentions. And that’s a good thing.
The appropriate lyrics: “I let the melody shine, let it cleanse my mind, I feel free now…I can’t change, I can’t change, but I’m here in my mind, I am here in my mind…”
7. ACCEPTANCE & HOPE–”The Sign” (Ace of Base). You’ve made it! F*** that jerk who dumped you, you’ve seen the sign and you’ve got a new life and you’ve realized ENOUGH IS ENOUGH! YOU GO, GLEN COCO!
The appropriate lyrics: ” I, I gotta new life, you would hardly recognize me, I’m so glad! How could a person like me care for you? Why do I bother, when you’re not the one for me..I saw the sign!”
I hope these 90s music videos have helped you on your breakup journey. Here is a bonus gift to get you through those really bad days. It’s basically the 7 stages of grief in one 1988 song:
YOU WILL GET THROUGH THIS, DAWSON!